The easy answer would be to pick the right builder. But, how do you do that? And once you’ve picked one, how do you ensure your relationship will be a good one?
How to Like and Trust Your Builder
I know some builders who maintain that the relationship doesn’t even need to be a good one. They believe the builder’s responsibility is to just build the home. That’s what they’re paid for, that’s where their experience is, and that’s what gets the job done.
Your HomeBuilding Experience
I completely disagree with the notion that a builder’s job is simply to build. And, there is good reason to believe that you can know, like and trust your builder as well. Whether you’re building a custom home from scratch or completing a major remodel, you can find a good builder and develop a great relationship.
Five Tips for Picking the Right Builder
Naturally, relationships are easier when you’re with the right person. One of the biggest fears people tend to have when it comes to building is knowing which builder is right for them. Here are some simple guidelines to follow:
- Building Experience: Your builder should not only be experienced and licensed, but should also know your market
- Check References: Ask references about promises kept or broken. Ask about timeliness. Ask questions about things that are vitally important to you
- Visit Projects: Your potential builder should be able to show you past or current projects. Pictures are okay but there’s nothing like seeing the real thing
- Interview Often: Personal conversations eventually reveal the person. Don’t assume you know the builder based on one or two short meetings
- Be Patient: Once you’re sure you’ve found your best choice, be patient if not immediately available. Don’t settle for 2nd or 3rd best just because you’re eager to get started. Trust your instincts and wait for an opening in his/her schedule
to be continued..